Experience wine making during vintage…
So you are a wine tragic? or just want to find out what it’s like to make wine as well as drink it!
The red ferments are plunged around six times a day. During vintage visitors can plunge the must at 11am and 3pm, no need to book.
We also try to schedule some of the wine-making tasks at the weekends as well as during the week so visitors can experience small-scale wine-making alongside wine tasting during Vintage.
Vintage starts mid-February and ends mid-April depending on the season’s growing conditions. Our first pick of 2016 is on 9 February.
Please be aware of wet floors and not to touch equipment being used. Also ensure children stay close to you and they don’t run about inside the Micro-Winery.
- Crushing grapes in the de-stemmer/crusher.
- Testing the sugar (Be) and acid (pH) levels of the grapes.
- Re-hydrate the yeast and adding to the grapes.
- Plunging the red must.
- Pumping free run wine from the tank to barrels.
- Pressing the juice from the skins in the basket press.
- Transferring the marc cake back into the vineyard.